Post UFE-Day1

So, my uterine fibroid embolization was yesterday.

The procedure itself went fairly quickly.

I got to the hospital outpatient center at 7 a.m. for my check-in.

Once I had filled out all of the paperwork and signed over my 1st born (just kidding) I was sent to Radiology for my check-in there.

The clerk from the check-in desk escorted me directly the nurses in the Radiology Department.

I was asked to change from my street clothes into a designer gown. You know, the one that opens in the back for all the world to see what you’ve got back there. In my case there’s not much back there.

Once I was changed the nurse came and started an I.V. I was also given a rectal suppository with medication for nausea. I was told that this is because the procedure itself can cause nausea and there is a risk of causing the clot at the puncture site to break off and cause a hematoma or embolism.

I was also given an antibiotic  to avoid infection.

 When the doctor and the room were ready, the nurse wheeled me into the procedure room. Then everything went quickly.

I had requested to not have a PCA, patient controlled analgesic, pump. It was my desire to go home the same day of the procedure and to do this I had to be able to control my pain with oral medication. My doctor was willing to work with me and said that as long as my pain was well controlled, I could sleep in my own bed that night.

When I woke up I was in some pain, but was able to control it with oral medication.  I had to lie flat for 4 hours follwing the procedure, but most of this time I was asleep. The reason for having to lie flat is that a catheter is inserted into the femoral artery in the groin. Once the catheter is removed the body naturally forms a clot at the puncture site. Just like when you have your blood drawn in your arm. There is a chance of the puncture site opening up again resulting in bleeding.

My procedure started at 9:00 a.m. and I left the hospital at approximately 3:30  p.m. the same day.

The doctor had informed both me and my husband that the pain would be intense during the first 8 hours after the procedure and that I can expect the pain to last at a mild to moderate level for the next week or so.

I’m not going to tell a fib here. My pain overnight was very intense. I have a pretty high pain threshold. If this were not the case I don’t think I would have been able to come home last night and deal with my pain with the medications the doctor prescribed for me.

The pain became more intense when I was lying on either side, so I slept off and on most of the night on my stomach. I also took my pain medication exactly as instructed.

Most of the day today I have experienced pain at a 6 on a 1 to 10 scale. Last night’s pain generally stayed at a 9 or 10. Because I had been told what to expect from the beginning, I think I am handling the situation better than if I didn’t know what was going on.

I will keep you updated on my recovery.

Y’all Come Back Now


January 6, 2010. Notebook.

Leave a Comment

Be the first to comment!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback URI

%d bloggers like this: